There are a few common reasons why you may not be able to issue a refund:
- The payment was made by Direct Debit and the payment is still being processed by GoCardless and has not yet credited your account.
- The payment was made by Credit/Debit Card and permission to give refunds in your PayPal account have not yet been set up.
- The payment you wish to refund is part of a consolidated payment and the system will only allow you to refund the whole consolidated amount.
This guide will show you the steps you will need to take to identify the cause in each instance.
- The GoCardless payment is pending:
When you go to ‘Financials’ > ‘Issue Refund’ and search for the name of the person you wish to refund and the transaction you wish to refund does not show, this means that the payment is still pending.
Only payments that have been paid out to your account will be displayed in the list of transactions you are able to refund. You will need to wait for the payment status to update to ‘Paid’ to be able to refund it. Depending on when the transaction was initiated, you have up to 4:00pm the next working day to cancel a payment from within your GoCardless account.
You can check the status of the payment and the date the amount is due to be paid out to you in your GoCardless account. To check when the payment will complete and if you are still able to cancel the payment click here for our article on cancelling payments.
- I can’t refund a PayPal payment:
When you go to ‘Financials’ > ‘Issue Refund’ and search for the name of the contact you wish to refund, and you click on ‘refund’ and you get an error message this means that you have not set up your PayPal account to allow refunds through the system.
Step 1: Login to PayPal account.
Step 2: Once logged in, click this link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-api-access
Step 3: Click ‘Add / Edit API Permissions’ (in some accounts it may say ‘Grant API access’).
Step 4: Enter ‘dave_api1.thesportsbusiness.com’ in the box and click ‘Lookup’.
Step 5: Select the refund tick boxes in the list provided and click on Add.
Please note - PayPal does not support refunds older than 60 days.